Those relying solely on Dynamics GP, or another ERP system, to effectively manage supply chain data may be fighting an uphill battle. So what’s the answer and what does this mean for your ERP investment?
ERP or WMS?
Each scan of the bar code, each click of the mouse, and each push of the button says something about your business. Tools, technologies, systems, and personnel throughout practically any business are generating data at an unprecedented clip. As a result there is more information available than at any time in history; and this means more opportunity to leverage technologies, streamline operations, boost efficiency, and accelerate productivity. So what’s the best way to manage this broad spectrum of information within your supply chain?
Today’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as Dynamics GP, are capable of handling vast amounts of data. And while not specifically designed to operate within the supply chain realm these systems are generally adequate for smaller, low volume distributors. But as companies grow, those in warehousing, distributing, manufacturing, and other supply chain-driven industries will need to replace or enhance ERP capabilities with a Warehouse Management System (WMS).
Just as ERP systems were created to operate within the world of finance, a WMS is specifically designed to handle the types and volume of data being generated throughout supply chain and/or manufacturing processes. Sales, order fulfillment, shipping, replenishment, inventory, tracking, manufacturing raw materials and beyond, are all areas of the operation must be tightly integrated as part of a complete supply chain management strategy. A WMS drives responsiveness and supports critical decisions with the most up-to-date and accurate information. This in turn synergizes the entire operation turbo-charging efficiency, productivity, and ultimately improve the bottom line.
In today’s world warehouse, distribution, and transportation management systems are affordable for virtually any size company and offer various levels of functionality to meet varying needs including your unique requirements. Fortunately for smaller to mid-size businesses a WMS doesn’t need to break the bank. Now even modest sized companies can get the same results as their Tier 1 counterparts without spending millions.
If you have already deployed Dynamics GP, or another ERP system, a WMS leverages the strengths of each to deliver a truly automated and responsive distribution environment. The result is a clear, accurate, and on-demand view of the complete operation.
Dynamics GP Integration
Today’s complex supply chain operations must be well-choreographed to generate, feed, process, update, receive and disseminate information at every stage. From sales, order fulfillment, shipping, replenishment, inventory, tracking to finance and beyond, all areas must be part of a complete warehouse management strategy. A tightly integrated ERP/WMS delivers the level of visibility, control and responsiveness needed to support such a strategy.
When it comes to WMS / Dynamics GP integration, care should be taken to select a solution from a partner with proven Dynamics GP experience. Understanding the intricacies of Dynamics GP is key to accelerated implementation while fully leveraging the strengths and capabilities of each system.
Real-Time Visibility / Real-World Examples
As a Microsoft development partner, FASCOR has the expertise to seamlessly bridge WMS with Dynamics GP. Here are just a few examples of the results that are being delivered:
RepairClinic relies on Microsoft Dynamics GP to automate, plan, and track business processes. Adding FASCOR’s WMS to the mix provided real-time visibility across the entire warehouse and supply chain. The results were new levels of productivity, accuracy, and cost-savings. RepairClinic Vice President of Supply Chain put it this way: “People are amazed at the technology driving our distribution center. Adapting to changes in picking, packing and all other areas has increased productivity while improving quality.”
Today the company is:
- Gaining real-time visibility and reducing bottlenecks by integrating WMS to MS Dynamics GP
- Operating an integrated and efficient distribution center resulting in a 100% productivity increase
- Streamlining picking and shipping to process over 8,000 orders on peak days with minimized headcount
- Boosting order fulfillment speed and accuracy
- Improving shipping efficiency while controlling related costs
ORR’s nine distribution centers process orders for equipment from more than 600 suppliers. Integrating ERP, Order Fulfillment, Inventory, and Shipping is critical to streamlining processes, ensuring accuracy, and controlling costs.
FASCOR’s integrated solution provided ORR Safety with:
- Annual Freight & Labor cost savings of nearly $500.000
- Seamless Dynamics GP integration
- An integrated environment that doubled annual revenue growth.
- Sustained improvement in order fulfillment speed and accuracy
- Minimal headcount increase
- Real-Time visibility in orders, SKU movements, inventory status, individual/team productivity and other key metrics.
ORR’s Corporate Distribution Manager stated: “FASCOR knows distribution. Their integrated WMS and shipping solution saves us nearly $500,000 each year in freight and labor costs.”
Manufacturing & Distribution
Recently a well-known Midwestern consumer goods manufacturer made the decision to expand distribution to a national scale. Painfully aware of the logistical challenges that come with expansion, the company realized that they had reached the limit of Dynamics GP in this area. Managing these tools, processes and resources required new levels of control, visibility and automation. A new WMS solution with MS GP integration was critical to manage growth.
After an extensive search FASCOR WMS was selected. Today this company is documenting new levels of control, tracking, and efficiency. Furthermore the scalability of FASCOR WMS is providing just the levels of functionality needed to meet the demands of today while anticipating what lies ahead.
There are a number of other examples of how an integrated WMS/Dynamics GP solution is delivering measurable results:
- 99% + order accuracy
- Year-end inventory virtually eliminated
- 100% Productivity Increase
- Increased Order Processing with lower labor costs
There are a number of supply chain-related challenges facing companies today.
- Real-time visibility: Immediate access to the latest information allows quick response to changes on the floor, provide continuous improvements, and hold everyone accountable. Within FASCOR WMS this is provided through a tool known as Web Tools™.
- Flexibility: Businesses must have the freedom to choose the tools that fit their needs, direction and budget. Technologies should empower users – not limit decisions.
- Integration: Technologies, tools, and processes must be seamless connected. In this way information flows across systems, departments, and processes to update, track, and manage the entire operation.
- Scalability: Technology must be configurable, affordable, and grow to support future needs.
The key to overcoming warehousing and distribution challenges lies in the ability of a WMS to bridge disperse tools and processes found throughout. FASCOR’s WMS with its Dynamics GP integration maximizes the return on your investment by augmenting ERP capability with WMS sophistication. Visit www.fascor.com to learn more about the structured flexibility of FASCOR WMS.